Protecting your skin is a daily necessity. A broad-spectrum sunscreen is a must to protect your skin from the damaging rays of the sun and help reduce signs of future aging, in order to maintain your skin health.
There is a lot of confusion and misconception around sunscreens and best practices.
The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and Canadian Dermatology Association (CDA) recommends:
- Choosing a sunscreen that provides broad-spectrum protection
- Applying an SPF of at least 30
- Applying liberally for maximum coverage
A sunscreen can protect you from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A (UVA) rays which causes aging and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays which causes the skin to burn 1 . By applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen, you are protecting your skin from both which helps prevent skin cancer, early skin aging (premature age spots, wrinkles, and sagging skin) and sunburn.
The meaning of SPF
All sunscreens are labelled with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) number which is an indicator of how much UVB light a sunscreen can filter out versus not using a sunscreen. In other words, the amount of time it takes for your skin to burn without any protection 2 . By using an SPF 30, you are filtering 96.7% of UVB rays while in an SPF 50 you are filtering 98% 3 .
Applying the right amount
A sunscreen should be applied liberally 15 minutes before sun exposure. Most people only apply 25-50 percent of the recommended amount of sunscreen 4 which actually reduces valuable sun protection. The CDA and the FDA recommend applying at least 2 tablespoon or 1 oz for the whole body for maximum coverage.
Finding the right Vivier sunscreen for your skin
Vivier’s has a wide range of broad-spectrum sunscreens featuring elegant textures and effortless application.
Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30
An elegant water-based facial sunscreen that provides broad-spectrum UVA/UVB and SPF 30 protection in a light, sheer formulation that absorbs quickly into the skin.
Ideal for normal to oily skin.
Triple Protection Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30
A physical broad-spectrum UVA/UVB and SPF 30 sunblock enriched with powerful antioxidants.
Ideal for sensitive skin.
Sheer Broad Spectrum SPF 45
A silky sunscreen that provides broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection with a sheer, soft touch texture that spreads evenly on your skin.
Ideal for normal to dry skin.
By Perri Lomax
1. “How to Decode Sunscreen Lingo.” How to Decode Sunscreen Lingo | American Academy of Dermatology, www.aad.org/public/spot-skin-cancer/learn-about-skin-cancer/prevent/sunscreen-labels/how-to-decode-sunscreen-lingo.2. https://dermatology.ca/public-patients/sun-protection/sunscreen-faq/
3. Dale Wilson, Brummitte & Moon, Summer & Armstrong, Frank. (2012). Comprehensive Review of Ultraviolet Radiation and the Current Status on Sunscreens. The Journal of clinical and aesthetic dermatology. 5. 18-23.
4. Neale, R, Williams, G, Green, A. Application patterns among participants randomized to daily sunscreen use in a skin cancer prevention trial. Arch Dermatol. 2002 Oct; 138, 1319-1325